Trinity Temple – Scotland’s Oldest University?

 

Trinity Church, North Uist Teampull na Trionad (Holy Trinity Church) near Carinish on North Uist may be the site of Scotland’s oldest university.

Standing on a gentle hillside, it offers views of the surrounding wetlands, out to the wild Atlantic. We visited in May, when the yellow Flag Irisflag irises were just coming into bloom and ewes eyed us suspiciously, as they nursed their lambs.

The ruined building (listed as of European significance) was once a medieval monastery and college, founded in the 1100s by Beathag, daughter of the warrior Somerled, according to the Book of Clan Ranald, written in the 1600s.

West Coast, North Uist, from Trinity TempleAfter being rebuilt around 1350 to 1390 by Ami Nic Ruari, wife of John, Lord of the Isles, it was enlarged in the 16th century.

trinity church It fell into ruin following the Reformation and, though later restored by Dotair Ban, in the 19th century, it was again in a ruinous state by the time it was visited by MacGibbon and Ross: compiling their Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland, published in 1896.

 

Finding Your Way

DSC_0054As the main A865 passes through Cairinis, near the southern end of North Uist, look out for a brown tourist sign. There is a small car park for visitors, but the boardwalk leading from there currently needs repair, so park by the chapel instead. The path leading to the ruins is just over aTrinity Church, North Uist quarter of a mile.  The site is open at all times and free of charge.

 

 

 

 

Battle Blood

You may notice another tourist sign, at the start of the car park boardwalk: the site saw Blar Chairinis  (the Battle of Cairinis)  in 1601. The  sign is subtitled Feith na Fala (Ditch of Blood).

DSC_0079 - Version 2 One of the resident MacDonald clan decided to divorce his wife, of the Harris MacLeods, inspiring the arrival of her menfolk.  The MacDonalds sought sanctuary within the precincts of Teampull na Trionaid, but eventually claimed  victory over the MacLeods. It is said to have been the last battle fought in Scotland using only traditional weapons.

 

 

Within the ruin are two war graves:

PRIVATE N NICOLSON
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Angus Nicolson, of Kallin, Grimsay, North Uist.
5th Bn Cameron Highlanders
Service number 3/5483
Date of death: 23/12/1917 at the age of 25

PRIVATE A MACAULAY
Son of Mr. and Mrs Ewen MacAulay, of Kallin, Grimsay, North Uist.
4th Cameron Highlanders
Service number 2561
Date of death: 12/2/1915 at the age of 17

 

Trinity Church

 

    More articles and photos of Scotland: North Uist aerieal shot - by Red King

    1)    RSPB Balranald: birdlife on the edge of the world   

    2)    Isle of Berneray Walk 

     3)   Scottish Sheepsies

     4)   Wild Wild North-West: to Cape Wrath

     5)   Misty Isle of Mull 

     6)   Isle of Skye 

     7)   The Scottish Collection

 

 

Advertisements